College, My first semester

Having officially completed my semester of college, I feel the need to reflect on my experience so far. First off I need to say how much I love my school! I could not be happier with my choice to go to Franciscan for college, I honestly can't imaging myself anywhere else. The campus is beautiful and the people are amazing, I love my classes and my professors! Coming from a big loving family, it was hard to leave them, but I thinking leaving home is one of the best ways you can find yourself.


Even though I was outrageously happy I did have my moments of doubt on whether or not I made the right decision to move to the other side of the country by myself. Was it dumb to follow my heart to a small town in the middle of nowhere? It was hard not being apart of big family gatherings, it was hard not seeing my baby cousins grow up in the last 5 months. Those were the moments I doubted, but God is so good to me he showed me that his plans are perfect. And my moments of doubt don't stand when I have the conviction in my heart that I am at the right place. GOD PUTS YOU WHERE YOU ARE FOR A REASON, TRUST IN THAT FACT.

Going off of that I compiled a list of some of the main lessons I learned this semester. I feel like these are not just college/ school lessons but life lessons as well.

1. Don't be afraid to lead or take charge in something even if you feel under qualified.
God doesn't call the qualified but he qualifies the called. Listen and go where he leads you, He will do the rest!

2. Count your blessings daily.
It's so easy to get overwhelmed and forget how blessed you are with all the little things you have, remember those little things.

3. Have fun, Its ok to take study breaks.
Working for 6 hours straight is so stressful! Go out with your friends for an hour or two. Be silly and have a distressing dance party for 10 min. Any break will do your mind and heart good.

4. Don't half ass anything.
I believe you should put your whole heart into everything you do. Why are you going to spend time doing something without enjoying it? Put your all into everything you do big or small the reward is tremendous.

5. Try new things even if they make you uncomfortable (its college)
Sometimes you will be asked to do things that sound a little scary even though you want to say no you know deep down you will regret not doing it. It's easy to say no but regret is not easy to live with. Just do it!

6. Keep your priorities straight.
Why did you go to school in the first place? Remember why you are there.

7. It's ok not to have your whole life planned out
You are not the only one! Its ok not to know what  you are going to be doing in 5 years, God's plan y'all.

8. Take advantage of all the things your college offers ( you are paying a whole lot of money to be there)
If you want to take milk and cupcakes from the caf, take them! Do you know how much tuition is?! If you need help go to tutoring or you are so stressed you need counseling go get help, its all paid for.

9. Your trials will teach you a lot about yourself.
How are you going to handle your first time failing an exam, your first breakup, the loss of a loved one? those things will teach you a lot about yourself and who you want to be.

10. You will miss home and thats ok.
I cried some days because life is hard and I just wanted a warm hug from my mom. But you are not away from  your family forever you will see them again and the time of sadness will too pass.

11. Don't be discouraged if your plans don't work out God has bigger better things in store.
I had a few plans at the beginning of the semester that didnt turn out the way I wanted, I ended up being totally ok. Bigger and better doors opened up to me because I trusted that God would make his plan known in his timing.

12. Hard work pays off.
You get what you put in. Study hard and you will be proud of the results.

13. Be silly with friends and take lots of pictures to remember.
College lets you meet amazing people have fun with them and don't take them for granted.

14. Make time for the Lord daily.
20 minitues of your day is not much and it keeps you grounded and focused on what's important.

15. God put you where you are for a reason, trust in that fact.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts